Electoral information for ACT voters experiencing homelessness

Updated 6 Sep 2016

People without a permanent home have the same right to enrol and vote as every other Australian citizen.

Voting is about having your voice heard on who you think should represent you in the ACT Legislative Assembly.

In order to vote, you must be enrolled.

Enrolment options if you are experiencing homelessness or living in temporary accommodation include:

If you don’t have access to safe and secure housing you can enrol as an elector with no fixed address.

As an elector with no fixed address, you enrol for the address where:

  • You were last eligible to be enrolled (generally the place where you last lived for at least one month); or
  • One of your next of kin is currently enrolled if you have not previously been eligible to be enrolled; or
  • Where you were born, if neither of the above apply; or
  • Where you have the closest connection if none of the above apply.

If you enrol as an elector with no fixed address and don't vote at an election, you won't be fined and your name will remain on the electoral roll.

If you believe that having your address on the electoral roll will put your personal safety or your family's safety at risk, you can apply to become a silent elector.

This involves having a statutory declaration signed.

It’s important to keep your enrolment details up to date so you remain eligible to vote. If you find a permanent place to live, you will need to re-enrol using a standard enrolment form.

For all enquiries about voting or to access no fixed address, silent or standard enrolment forms visit the Election’s ACT website www.elections.act.gov.au or call (02) 6205 0033.

ACT Electoral Commission
Level 9, Eclipse House
197 London Circuit, Canberra City ACT 2601

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact Elections ACT through the National Relay Service (NRS) – call 13 36 77 and then ask for (02) 6205 0033. For more information, visit www.relayservice.gov.au