Elections for organisations
Elections ACT is available to assist in the conduct of elections for clubs and other organisations, under its mission to provide the ACT community with high quality electoral services that ensure fair and open elections and referendums.
Assistance by Elections ACT
Elections ACT conducts elections and provides other electoral services for organisations under its power to provide services for determined fees in section 7(1)(g) of the Electoral Act 1992. An agreement to provide electoral services may be entered into with ACT organisations who need outside help to complete free and fair elections. An agreement will only be entered into if:
- the organisation is a not-for-profit organisation;
- the organisation has a significant ACT presence;
- the organisation has established election rules for free and fair elections which comply with Elections ACT's principles for conducting elections; and
- Elections ACT has the resources available at the requested time.
Elections ACT will NOT be involved in any election where:
- proxy votes are permitted;
- voting is by a show of hands; or
- the secrecy of the vote may be compromised.
The following documents are provided to assist clubs and other organisations to run their own elections. If you use any of these documents, or look at them and decide not to use them, could you please send us an email and let us know what was useful, what was not and provide any other constructive feedback.
These documents are provided free of charge, without licence or warranty, in Microsoft Word and Excel formats. The ACT Electoral Commission (Elections ACT) makes this material available on the understanding that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to its use. The documents may be used as is or modified by the user in any way required. The user is responsible for ensuring that the documents are suitable for the purposes for which they are being used and should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the documents is with the user. Elections ACT takes no responsibility as to the quality and fitness of these documents for a particular purpose. By using this information each user waives and releases Elections ACT to the full extent permitted by law from any and all claims relating to the usage of the material. In no event shall Elections ACT be liable for any incident or consequential damages resulting from use of the material.
Elections ACT can provide professional assistance, on a fee-for-service basis, as follows:
- assistance in drafting electoral regulations;
- provision of equipment such as security ballot paper, voting screens, ballot boxes and the like;
- help in counting the result of an election; and
- full conduct of an election.
Contact Elections ACT if you require any of these services.